I Vargulf (Werewolf)
by Fredrick J. Rourk
Copyright 2009
Chapter 2
Do They Taste Like Chicken
Okay Astrid Girl enough astral reconnoitering it is time to get the spirit back in the body. See I have been very busy since I woke up this morning. I found out I have to go and do things the hard way. While I was sleeping I had this pleasant dream of having a big breakfast of fresh, bloody, and juicy fairy meat. However fate has gone and said “NO”! Now either my enemies are lucky fools, or they are evil super geniuses. I find myself in a most unusual predicament. Simply put I can not shape change.
My kind and loving parents have always warned me of the evil and trickery of strangers. However this is some sick and very disturbing shit I find myself in. Some demented sicko has gone and put silver metal panties on me while I was sleeping. Silver has always been the great hubris of the Vargulf Race. Now to make things worse they have a very intricate lock on them which keeps me from getting them off. All of this keeps me from changing shape to a form more fitting for rending my enemies flesh from their bodies, and having a nice nutritious breakfast.
What they don’t realize is that all this means is that I just have to go and get all tactical and strategic on them. Well I do give my host props for the huge super comfy bed. The night gown is a little to Renaissance Fairy for my personal taste. Whoever put ribbons in my hair will be lucky if I only tear his/her throat out when I do get free.
Okay after a last futile attempt to squeeze out of the master locked evil silver panties. I decide it’s time to get out of bed and look around. First off this room is huge. It is easily twice as big as my bedroom at home. There is a desk, bookshelf, wood stove, wine rack, mini bar, and a wedding dress. “Oh no they don’t really think,” I say out loud as my eyes lock on the wedding dress in the corner of the room. Standing in front of the infernal object of ultimate evil as my temper goes from hot to nuclear meltdown. On a table by the dress are drawings, plans, invitations, and more important a picture of the groom to be. I quickly memorize his face. A special death will have to be planned for him.
In the opposite corner of the room is a nice little wood stove with glowing embers in it. I summon a cute little fire elemental to my hand from it. Then I roll the little guy up in a ball and toss him at the wedding dress. Note to self for future reference; wedding dresses go up like roman candles.
Fire and chaos my old friends together they have given me inspiration to form a grand plan of battle. In this wonderful moment I have remembered something my Uncle Finn told me about Magical Warfare.
“Astrid dear we Vargulf can not go toe to toe in magical battle with spells against Mages and Vampires. For our enemies are truly greater than us in that particular arena of battle. However we can crush them with numbers. No other race can summon spirits and elementals like we can. That is how we defeat them in magical battles.”
Good call Uncle Finn as I lie back down on the bed and depart my body for some astral mayhem. This should not take long I can move at the speed of thought in astral space. My plan is to reconnoiter and summon up a large army of spirits and elementals. Then I will simply level this cursed place.
During my astral spying phase I have learned this place is a huge castle. I do hope the owners have insurance. Now the inhabitants are very interesting, and damn if there are not a lot of them. Some of them are tiny, some large, and some short. A few of the fairy folk seem to be made out of metal, rock, or have scales. There are your typical fairies with insect wings and others that look like fantasy elves. I even thought I caught a glimpse of a dragon for a second there.
Just zipping along merrily taking notes, and making plans for a grand demolition worthy of my status. My eyes filled with visions of conquest and then disaster strikes. Apparently I have gone and wandered into my mom’s old room. It has to be her room. Her scent is on the bed, clothes, and etc. Why there are even pictures and paintings of her all about. Suddenly a realization hits me. These strange fairy folk they are my kin.
Oh this just sucks. As a Vargulf Valkyrie I have taken an oath to protect my kinfolk. Deep down in my heart and my soul I know the truth. I must put an end to my plans of carnage. All the spirits and elementals are released from service after putting out the fires and blowing all the smoke clear.
I cry all the way back to my body. Where I discover lots of my new fairy folk kin are in the room. Some of them are crying over my apparently lifeless body. Well I can’t have them crying. I rush back into my body and suddenly sit up. Fast talking I thank them all for caring for my body while I was away from it. Before they can interrupt I leap off the bed and rush out the door. With an authoritative voice I announce that I will be staying in my mother’s old room.
I actually made it to the door of my mother’s old bedroom. Of course the damn door is locked. While standing there wondering what to do next a guard comes over and unlocks the door for me. Holding onto the door I look back at them all and announce,” within the next hour the key to this chastity belt will be placed under this door. If not my wrath will know no bounds.” Then very quickly I slam the door behind me and lock it.
Kin, family, and relatives this was all so much easier when they where just enemies. My mother’s bedroom the mysterious place where she grew up as a child. She never talked much about her side of the family. All I know is a little Daddy told me. I know she was supposed to be a heroine. Apparently she was some kind of brave knight or holy avenger thingy.
All of this has caused me to dredge up a dark memory from two years ago. I was sent home early from school one day for something or other. Sneaking into the house to evade my parents and instead I find my mother in my bedroom. She was having a tea party with all my dolls and stuffed animals. Presently she noticed me and invited me to join her. Can you imagine catching your mother playing with your dolls? I asked her, “Mom what are you doing?”
“Princess Astrid my dear lovely daughter come join me for you must learn to hold a proper court. Soon my dear you will be of proper age and as a member of the royal family you will be required to perform certain duties.”
I told her she was crazy, and I flipped the tea table over. The tea spilled all over her dress. In a panic I ran out of the house as fast as I could. Outside I was alone and crying not sure of what to do. After a bit I crept back in the house. I found my mother still sitting there drenched in tea and she was crying. I just watched in horror for a few moments and then I began cleaning up the mess. The whole time my mother just sat there crying. I did not know what else to do for her. Then she just snapped out of it when my father came home. We never ever talked about that day and what happened. Damn all you faeries for making me remember that.

I bet those metal panties really hurt against her gunshot wound... Or at least that's what I kept thinking as I was reading the first few paragraphs.
ReplyDeleteThe descriptions of the fairy folks are a little brief, but again your depiction of Astrid is well-developed and the setting is clear.
Someone else has pointed this out to me as well and in my next draft I will have to address this shortcoming.
ReplyDelete